Tuesday, February 8, 2011

11 year old boy racks up $1,000 on Mom's credit card playing Xbox Live


         A desperate mother has condemned Microsoft after her 11-year-old son racked up a $1,000 debt on her debit card - through his Xbox. Brendan Jordan racked up a bill of $1,082.52 on his Xbox without realising all the purchases were being charged to his mum Dawn Matthews' card. The schoolboy made the payments to buy accessories and new games on his console after it saved the details of a previously registered card.

Single mum-of-two Dawn, 37, from Strood, Kent, has now complained to Microsoft but claims the computer giant is ignoring her.
She said: 'When I put my card details in 18 months ago I thought it was just for his membership to play online with his friends.

She entered her debit card details into the family Xbox to pay for Brendan's subscription to his favourite game.
However, Brendan repeatedly clicked on additions and extensions - racking up a £1082.52 debt to her account over six months.
Microsoft say they offer parental control accounts so parents like Dawn can monitor what their children are spending.

 Dawn wants her experience to be a lesson to other parents and blames Microsoft for making it 'too easy' for her son to spend the money.


Comment Below What You Think :)

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1354490/Boy-11-racks-1-000-mothers-debit-card-playing-XBox-online.html#ixzz1DLwgUcmV

34 comments:

  1. How she didn't notice that in six months, doesn't she get a monthly bill?

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is why you should always look at your monthly statements closer and don't just give them what ever...saves headaches like these

    ReplyDelete
  3. she did not realize it before 6 months.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That kid must have thought it was xmas

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too bad for the little kid, but its his mum's fault for not checking on him... C'mon 18 months and you havent checked your cc bill ONCE?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like a few other people here have said, surely it would have been picked up on her bills. Its her own bloody fault.

    I wanna know how its possible to spend that much money on xbox like that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would be pissed if I was his mom too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. If my son EVER did anything like that, he'd have another thing coming. lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. I blame on an ignorant mother. Hope the kid bought some good stuff. New follower.

    http://gnarlyweather.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. lol i wish my mom used her card for my xbox

    follow me ^_^
    http://pandapokes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. My gf's lil bro did this with his cellphone. He turned 14, bitched until he got a phone, and then downloaded ALL the apps and ringtones he could.

    At the end of the month, mommy had a $1,400 bill and the kid got his phone taken away. His response? "It wasn't me!" heh....

    ReplyDelete
  12. hehe a friend of mine wasted like 800$ on a conference call to 4 diffrent countries :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can tell you this much with Xbox will never discourage you to make a purchase lol. I remember i tried to cancel my xbox live subscription and i had to go through 10 pages of crap just to cancel and even then my credit card information was still sitting right there in case i changed my mind no way to delete it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh wow! I would hate to be that kid after he did that. Insane!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This happened to me I got hacked and the person charged like 500 bucks to my credit card I was pissed off. His mother must have beat the shit out of him haha. Very good post.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is why beating children shouldn't be frowned upon.

    http://tameric.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lol I wish I could have done that when I was 11

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's insane. Also although I don't think the kid realised the extend of it, I'm sure he knew that all that stuff wasn't free.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Time to take that little fucker's game away. The "little" boy is probably like 15.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Time to take that little fucker's game away. The "little" boy is probably like 15.

    ReplyDelete
  21. reminds me of my brother and his WoW subscrip

    ReplyDelete
  22. If that was my kid I wouldve beat the crap out of him

    ReplyDelete
  23. They should make it harder to save the cc info in the system. If this kid took advantage of it on accident, it needs to be more difficult to do. On Playstation Store, it's a lot harder to buy stuff if your info isn't manually saved into the system.
    http://umadmoviereviews.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Haha this happens all the time :P

    ReplyDelete
  25. I saw an article on this before, it's just 100% the parent's fault in my mind. If she had any clue of what her kid was doing, let alone not left her CC information on an xbox accessible by her kid, it wouldn't have happened.

    ReplyDelete