Thursday, February 10, 2011

CONSOLE WAR GET IN THIS!!!




We have all heard the term before.  But to each gamer it can hold a very different meaning. For some gamers, an exclusive title can be cause for celebration.   But if you spend enough time on videogame forums, it becomes clear that most gamers would rather use the idea of exclusivity as a weapon, and as a means to brag about their superior gaming device. But when all is said and done, exclusivity is nothing more consumer loyalty, and this is exactly why so many gamers are so defensive about their precious exclusives.Crysis for example, was originally a PC exclusive title which hinged on its outrageous system requirements and stunning visuals to garner the envy of all PS3 and 360 owners alike.  Now, EA has decided to widen its audience by bringing Crysis 2 to the console owners of the world – and I couldn’t be more thrilled.  But like Square Enix’s decision to bring Final Fantasy XIII to the 360, many view the exclusivity loss as something to look down on.  Like Square Enix, EA’s decision to go multiplatform is just a way to increase profits, allowing the company to create more of the titles that gamers know and love. With the support of two major console brands, the Crysis franchise has a chance to flourish.  So I ask, why all the fuss?
PC and 360 owners are probably feeling stuck on the same boat right about now. Much like the PC’s once exclusive shooter, the 360 is also losing a title with Mass Effect 2. But if you really stop and think about, what does this really mean? The titles are going to be essentially the same regardless of which console they first appeared on and then later brought over to.  Exclusivity isn’t something that gamers should use to validate spending money on the only console they were able to afford.  Cause a lot of times, these arguments seemed to be fueled by just that. If you were place one of every console and portable gaming device in every gamers home right now, do you think that exclusivity would even matter anymore? But as upsetting as it is for a gamer to be deprived of great gaming experience, the true purpose of exclusivity is to harden the industry and to push developers to create better quality titles.  In a world without exclusives, there would be no rhyme or reason to improve.
Take Halo for example.  Halo is Microsoft’s cornerstone FPS. It was so successful, that it made Sony take notice and develop its own FPS sensation with Killzone. And what about the Uncharted franchise? When I look at Naughty Dog’s action title, my mind drifts to the Gears of War franchise.  Not because of the titles’ similar play styles, but rather the reason why Uncharted plays the way it does.  What would Uncharted be like if Gears of War wasn’t around to push Sony to create its own flagship action series?
There is no changing the game at this point.  Gamers will always resort to their exclusives as the primary reason as to why their consoles are ‘better’. And yes, if you’ve got a console that is rocking plenty of exclusive content, you may be subject to that feeling of superiority. But in looking passed childish bragging rights, and the ‘look what I have’ mentality, you will see that exclusives help us consumers in the long run, and raise the standards by keeping our favorite developers on their toes. Personally, I am a bit envious Playstation 3 owners this year; Sony’s console has a lot of incredible titles coming its way.  But rather than dwell on it, I should be appreciate the fact that I will one day have such great titles to look forward to – all spawned out of the need to push the industry forward and to outdo the competition. So I ask you, fellow gamer: How do you believe exclusives have hurt/helped the gaming industry?

33 comments:

  1. Xbox FOR THE WIN. I love the picture on this blog too by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have both.. Rather play pc haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree completely, competition is required in improvement. As survival of the fittest created the strongest animals on earth so to will it make the greatest games.

    I prefer the 360 anyway as it's more user friendly that the PS3. If they were friends the 360 would be that cool guy that talks to everybody at a party and the PS3 would be the one in the corner trying to look cool and bragging about itself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I prefer the 360 as the whole system is overall more consistent (no games without achievements, all games support custom sound track, installation etc) and no randomly dropping support for things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the PS3. Exclusivity only means there's some games I can't play and some games I can. It doesn't bother me too much, personally. I just like my console because I believe that you get what you pay for. A lot of people disagree, and thats fine with me.

    I'm still sure exclusivity is the reason why so many prefer the 360 though

    ReplyDelete
  6. Exclusives have only caused a little bit of trouble in my gaming ventures, most recently a few PS3 titles since I haven't bothered buying the system yet. But, with every generation of gaming, the systems have quite a few years to build their own library, and eventually come down in price, making them rather accessible to afford by the end of its run. I'm sure the ownership of the PS3 will only expand and expand.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to be a PS fanboy, but that was only because all I ever owned was a PS2 so what else was I going to argue was the better console. Then I got a 360 and I was like "oh wow so this is what a good console is like". PS3 is pretty good, but I still prefer the 360.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have to say I love my Xbox.... I don't play it as often as I would like but at least it has games. (Sorry PS3)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have and always will be a PC gamer first...that said i have a Wii and a PS3 for those games thta aren't on the PC.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fuck yeah it has. Im too stoned to elaborate.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i can't really claim an opinion yet. all i own is a pc lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hate exclusives. I don't want to have to buy a whole other gaming system just to play a single game. This is why I still haven't played God of War III.

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is a post that is nea ad dear to me heart me lady

    ReplyDelete
  14. Forget about consoles and always go PC. You can't beat it seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  15. xbox for music and sport games, ps3 for RPGs, wii for casual and multiplayer games, everyone has its pros and cons, but im actually more of a PC gamer haha

    ReplyDelete
  16. Title's are very important for games.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome picture! Xbox all the way though.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Xbox is best much more classic games like Halo and Gears

    ReplyDelete
  19. wii is too cartoony for my taste. ps3 isnt original anymore. they just make games off of movies and sequels off of old stuff. xbox is the best. halo series has a lot to do with it even though reach blows

    ReplyDelete
  20. im all for pc :)


    good luck to your blog, sincerely
    secretPCtips.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. PC all the way... and 360. Nice post. Followed.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is exactly why I want to buy both the PS3 and the Xbox360. I hate it when I great game comes out on the PS3 and not on the xbox. Although I also hate it when a good game moves to the PS3.

    Maybe it's not always the case, but when ever I hear a company bringing out an once exclusive to another console I can't help think it's all to line their back pockets.
    It's like all you hear nowadays is about how gaming industries are becoming greedy.

    If it werent for exclusives, there might as well only be one gaming system out there.

    Great blog, consider me a follower.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love tech blogs. Great stuff man!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I prefer the pc, but almost all rpg games come out on consoles, I have a ds too

    ReplyDelete
  25. to be honest...i think all the main systems are converging on the same point. there's not that much differentiates between them except the wii.

    ReplyDelete
  26. any 1080p console with good games owns!

    ReplyDelete
  27. PC wins over... So... screw consoles. Except maybe LBP on PS3, that should be PCfied

    ReplyDelete
  28. If you can post more about it, it's very interesting.

    ReplyDelete